10.10.05

Azuki Bean Mousse...or, the not so pink mousse


I had thought this would be my entry into In the Pink last weekend, but when all was whipped and chilled, it just didn't look as pink as I had remembered it (of course, it was dark that night and we were eating outside by candlelight, but anyway...). But, it's still tasty, and an authentic Japanese recipe, courtesy of our friend Keiko here in Eugene, so I wanted to share it with you.


Azuki Bean Mousse

200 g sweetened red beans (see above; the can we bought was 210 g)
5 g powdered gelatin (about 3/4 of a bag or try your best to guess if you don't have a scale)
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup whipping cream
4 ramekins (6 oz. ones worked great; plus, I used this as an excuse to buy them :)


Place the water and gelatin into a large bowl and set aside. Put the whipping cream into another bowl, and start whipping (we had to use a whisk, since the beater is broken). Whip only until it's about 60% whipped or hangs onto the beaters or whisks, but still drops off after a few moments. Place the gelatin/water bowl into a hot water bath until the gelatin dissolves, then add the can of red beans and mix gently but thoroughly (try not to smash the beans). Next, prepare a cold water bath, and add the mostly-whipped cream to the bean mixture and mix again until thoroughly mixed (but gently!). Pour equal amounts (quickly) into the molds and put them in the fridge until chilled (about 1 hour). These look great garnished with cherries cut in half and placed around the outside, or you could save some of the beans and put them on top, or whipped cream, or just be creative!


6 comments from you:

Ilva said...

Thanks! Guess who's gonna try it out? And if I can't find those beans I'll experiment with Italian beans!

Michelle said...

Hi Ilva!
I can't wait to hear how it goes! Good luck! BTW - I love the pomegranate pics!

Rachael Narins said...

I love it!

Michelle said...

Hi Rachael!
Thanks for visiting! I read your site a lot and you have yummy recipes - in fact, your chai pears are definitely on my list!

Anonymous said...

Michelle - I'm glad you have a friend with the same name as me ;) The mousse looks great, I tried it with matcha mousse, it was nice too.

Michelle said...

Hi Keiko! Thanks for visiting! I'll have to tell my friend keiko about the matcha mousse - that sounds good.

Hi Melissa! Is it easy to find azuki beans down there in Panama?