9.10.05

In the Pink


It's time for In the Pink! A few weeks ago, Emily at La Dolce Vita came up with the fantastic idea for foodie bloggers (like ourselves) to cook something pink in an effort to bring about awareness of breast cancer. Loving boyfriend and I were intrigued, especially because I have a great aunt, Shirley, that has had breast cancer. Shirley is one of the strongest, most vibrant women I know, so I'm dedicating my creation to her.

My first attempt at cooking pink was a trip down memory lane to a dinner made my my dear friends Willis and Keiko. Keiko is Japanese and just recently moved to Eugene. For dessert, she had made a very unique Azuki Bean Mousse and both Loving Boyfriend and I remembered it being pretty and pink. So we got the recipe, made the mousse, and low and behold, it wasn't very pink...it's more of a brownish pink. I'll still post the recipe, because it's a tasty, unique dessert perfect with any asian food, but I'll post it later.


So, in an effort to redeem ourselves with not much time left, we made a special batch of very pink Rhubarb Schnapps. The picture actually doesn't do it justice as it's a very bright pink in the jar. I can't tell you yet how it tastes, because it has to mature for at least 6 weeks, but it is easy to make, pretty, and pink.


Rhubarb Schnapps,
recipe from Nigella Lawson, How to be a Domestic Goddess

Approx. 2 lbs of rhubarb, (1 1/4 lbs. trimmed)
1 1/3 cups of sugar
1 Liter of Vodka, plus a bit more if needed
2 one Liter jars
1 one Liter bottle

Chop the rhubarb and divide it between the two jars. Add 3/4 cup sugar to each jar, put the lids on and shake them vigorously. Unclip the lids and pour 2 1/4 cups of vodka - I used a cheap vodka, as she claims she does in the recipe - into each jar to fill. If this doesn't fill them, pour in a bit more.

Close the lids, put the rhubarb vodka somewhere cool and dark for at least 6 weeks and up to 6 months. If you remember, shake the jar each day or so for the first month (this makes it even more pink!).

Strain into a pitcher, then pour into the bottle. Makes 1 Liter.




9 comments from you:

Ilva said...

Don't forget to post the bean mousse! When my husband went to Japan he brought me 6 extremely good sweets (he wanted to share his japaneese experience and this was the best of ways!) and I suspect that they were made of beans. I never tasted anything so delicate and nice since then and I want to do AGAIN!

Michelle said...

Hi Ilva -
I will, I promise...I took lots of pics because it was for In the Pink. It's really easy, but I was kind of surprised about the ingredients. They make a lot of desserts from sweetened red beans. Do they have asian markets in Tuscany (maybe stupid question:)? I can send you some beans if need be!

Ilva said...

Good! And thank you for your offer but if I take the train towards Florence I pass Prato where there is an enormous Chinese community so I think I will manage in one way or another! I'll try!
But when I was reading your comment a faint memory of having read somewhere recently about a Tuscan recipe of a dessert made of beans began to surface, I'll have to check that out! And thanks to your suggestion to candy (?) my own ginger I managed to enter a recipe in the Paper Chef # 11!
Thanks again! And I'm looking forward to your future recipe!

Blogger said...

Hi Michelle!

oOoOh rhubarb schnapps? I've always associated rhubarb with a comforting crumbles, but I'm intruiged by the idea that it has some grown-up uses as well! What a beautiful shade of pink it turned - I hope your efforts pay off in 6 weeks!

Thanks for joining in!

Michelle said...

Hi Emily -
I'll let you know how it turns out! Thank YOU for coming up with the idea - I've seen some beautiful pink dishes and some heartfelt dedications.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to hearing how the Rhubarb Scnapps turned out.

Michelle said...

Hi Barbara!
Supposedly this is best at 3 months, but you could do it as short as 6 weeks. I think might leave it until the 3 month mark, but we'll see...I'm dying to find out what rhubarb and alchohol taste like together, as it's not something I would have ever done on my own...but since then, I now have quince brandy and elderberry wine waiting too!

Divya Jagasia said...

Hi!

I made this rhubarb schnapps 6 weeks ago but the color is no longer pink. It seems to have oxidized, do you think it's safe? Did yours oxidize and how was the outcome? I'd love to know.

Michelle said...

Hi! I don't really remember, but from what I recall, it did eventually lose its color...though we had drank most of it by then. It's supposed to be good and have the pink color even at three months at RT, though when it's "ready" i would put it in the fridge after straining it. It's a lot of straight alcohol in there, so you're probably fine, though it's too bad as the color is so beautiful. Taste a small amount and see if it tastes weird. If it doesn't, enjoy it - it may just be a fluke thing. You did keep it in the dark, right? That could also affect things. We thought it was quite tasty and a nice addition to club soda in the summer!