6.10.05

She was right...it's pretty d@mn good!


Shauna, over at Gluten-free Girl, posted this recipe a few days ago, calling it "The Plum Crumble of My Dreams." With a name like that, it had to be tested. Unfortunately, I've been looking for Italian plums at the farmer's market the last two weeks and the plums that were once so plentiful (seems like just a day ago!) are completely gone! So I settled for the only plums I could find: pretty little greenish-gold plums that I already forgot the name of (sorry). It also took me a day or two to replenish my stock of candied ginger since I was completely out. But then, finally, last night, I had all of the ingredients in my midst. It's a simple recipe; the only change I made was to reduce the amount of butter from 1/2 cup = 1 stick = 8 tbsp to 5 tbsp. because I've been feeling rather guilty for the high amounts of cream and buttery yummy-ness that has been prevalent in my food choices of late. It still turned out perfectly. The most difficult part is finely chopping the ginger, and even that isn't too bad.

The plum and ginger combination is perfect, and the crust is really like a crispy, slightly-crunchy crunched up cinnamon crispy (okay, sounds redundant, but like those 'cinnamon crispies' you used to be able to get at Taco Bell...only better, waaaayyy better...and laid over juicy sweet delicious plums. And I refuse to eat at Taco Bell these days - I've never been a huge fan of fast food, nor soda or pop or whatever you call it in the part of the country you're living in (this is a point of contention in some areas, such as here). Loving Boyfriend got food poisoning last Christmas from McDonalds so we don't eat at fast food places anymore...even in desperate times).

Both boys (roommate and Loving Boyfriend) gave rave reviews after I doled out scoops for them as they finished their chores (I actually took a picture of this to document it and use it for blackmail sometime in the future...two boys folding laundry in the living room together! I wasn't aware men actually knew how to do laundry...I love you, Honey, and I do appreciate you doing the laundry last night...for once...).


BTW - stay tuned for In the Pink next week - Loving Boyfriend and I have our recipes and we're primed to start cooking Pink!

9 comments from you:

vlb5757 said...

MIchelle, I was going to ask you about the In the Pink weekend. I have mine half finished. Just pulled the last part from the oven before heading up here. I have a "play" day tomorrow so I will finish it tomorrow.

The Crumble looks really yummy. Is this one I am going to have to try and then give to my clients? lol? I made the Yellow Squash Ribbons recipe yesterday. I did have to make a change though. I had to use Zucchini instead. The wifey doesn't like yellow squash. So we'll see how the reviews go.

Now where are those kitchen pictures???

kitchenmage said...

My, my, my. I've been out of town for days, I'm behind on my reading, and now there are more things on my to-bake list. Tomorrow I go find plums. And maybe pumpkin. My hips do not thank you.

Shauna said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. I've made it three times since, and every time, it's fantastic. (And every time, I give most of it away, so I don't have all that butter either!) I think that'a a pretty good definition of how good it is: so great that boys will fold laundry!

Ilva said...

You beat me to it, I MUST do it now! When I saw the recipe at GFG I promised myself to make the cake but it can be a bit hard to find the candied ginger where I live but now I'm going into town with only ONE mission: buying it! I'm gonna find it..

Michelle said...

Vickie -
I can't wait to see what you're making for In the Pink! You'll have to let me know how the zucchini goes over - I have yet to try it that way. ...and I'll let you in my kitchen sometime soon, I promise - I'll try to take pics this weekend!

Kitchenmage -
That's where you've been! I hope you had a good trip? I know, my hips aren't thanking me lately much either - niether is my butt, my thighs...

Shauna - You're recipes are so often seductive! I can't wait to try it with the right plums! I wish boys would fold laundry a bit more often...

Ilva -
Best of luck finding the candied ginger! If you can't find it, you might be able to make your own - I wonder if you could try something like this: http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2004/12/candied-orange-peel.html

Ilva said...

Good idea! I'll try that if I don't finsd any! I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might have used greengage plums? I'm envious - they came and went faster than the blink of an eye here at our markets in NYC. They make great jam, too, by the way.

Michelle said...

Hi Luisa! Thanks for visiting my site! They might be greengage - I'll have to see if they have more this weekend to verify it! I'm sure they would make lovely jam - perhaps that will be my next plum adventure! Do you have a good recipe?

kitchenmage said...

The trip wasn't bad, but it's nice to be home. Next month I go north again, this time for dinner at the Herbfarm and a visit with my two year old niece, which promises to be a bit more fun than this last trip.