2.11.05

Loving Boyfriend's "Off the Cuff" Stir-Fry


As I've told you before, Loving Boyfriend has a completely different philosopy on cooking than I do...the no rules philosophy. One of his favorite ways to show this off is by making stir fry. He was so proud of this one, and I do admit it was extremely tasty, he asked if I would share it with all of you. I said, "Yes, if you'll write it!" He even took the picture (I'm so proud).

So here's a guest appearance by his truly, Loving Boyfriend...

To make my ‘off the cuff' stir fry I did the following:

In order to properly make a tasty stir-fry, only one true ingredient is necessary...absolutely no plan! Stir-fry is the cooking equivalent of abstract art. You never know exactly what it is, but if enough people say it is good, it is. This particular creation existed in the form of the following vegetables: celery, carrots, cucumbers, jalapeño peppers, ancho chiles (green), onion (always a must), mushrooms (those little ones – enoki, this stir-fry works great for using up sushi leftover veggies, or any leftover veggies for that matter), and radicchio.

The sauce consisted of (in approximate ratios):

1 part hoison sauce
1-1.5 parts soy sauce
3/4 part sugar (honey would have been good but I didn't think fast enough)
some tabasco drops
Finally, a finger dipped in to ensure taste (adjust flavors as necessary and make sure to taste the sauce before you cut up the jalapeño...it burns)

To make the stir fry:

1. Make sauce
2. Cut up veggies
3. Heat peanut oil in pan
4. Add onion and hot pepper. Cook a few minutes (1-3)
5. Add other veggies in order, so as not over-cook any of them
6. Add sauce
7. Mince an Emeril amount of garlic (garlic press works best) into pan (ie. LOTS of garlic!)
8. Stir and let cook a little, about 2-3 min. You can also add some flour or arrow-root powder or cornstarch to the sauce if you like a thicker style sauce.
9. Serve over the rice I forgot to mention earlier.

There you have it!

(Isn't he cute?)

5 comments from you:

vlb5757 said...

Loving Boyfriend: You get an A for being sweet and the plus for bravery. The stir fry is very creative! I do stir fry like that too, usually at the end of the week to empty out the refrigerator. I totally get your concept! Great ideas have been born from going to brave new worlds. Nice job!

Ilva said...

seems as if you are a well matched couple, one who will cook luscious meals whereas the other will see to that you always will survive making nice and savoury creations!

Dawn said...

Yum. Sounds good. Especially the "lots of garlic" part!

Joycelyn said...

not only does he cook, he wings it!...looks wonderful michelle...

Michelle said...

Hi Vickie - I think LB blushed when he read your comment :)

Hi Ilva - Yep, we're a pretty good match, and luckily he likes food enough that he's willing to put up with having to share my love of him with my love of food!

Hi Dawn - LB LOVES all things garlic...and he loves saying "BAM!" too!

Hi J - I think he might just be a keeper...

Hi Melissa - Wow! Ecuador! Do keep us posted on your adventures

To All - Loving Boyfriend was very happy to have comments from you all, thank you!