3.4.06

There's always time for pie


Pizza pie, that is (the other type of pie is a whole different post). Pizza is one of those good, homey comfort foods that never does you wrong. You can use tomato sauce or olive oil as a base, and any number or combination of toppings will do. But be forewarned: when you find one that works, it's hard to want to make anything else.

My own standby is Blue cheese, red onion, and pine nut pizza. I've been making this combination for years, and it's my absolute favorite pizza. This is the one that I make whenever I get to decide what goes on the pizza at home. Unfortunately, for me, since Loving Boyfriend is the crust-maker (he loves to flex his manly Italian muscles as he tosses the pizza in the air), I only rarely get to choose the toppings. His 'specialty' is his chicken-wing pizza (which is also excellent, especially dipped in blue cheese dressing...but I'll share this one at some later date if I can get his approval), so that's usually what gets made.

But when I am lucky enough to be able choose, this where my pizza loyalty lies. Today, I'm also going to share another pizza we just discovered this Friday during a quick stop to the grocery store, that may have just topped our pizza chart as a favorite to us both: Carmelized Onion and Balsamic Vegetable Pizza.

Make or buy your crust - we usually just pick up some freshly-made pizza dough from the grocery store, because it's quick and easy, but you know homemade is always better... Here...try Ilva's crust recipe...It's fabulous, and I'm sure that she won't mind... Roll it out to pizza size. Then, of course, there is the obligatory (and fun) tossing it up into the air and stretching it out on your hands. Just don't drop it on the floor - especially if you have two very large dogs who are always hungry and sitting there just waiting for you to drop the big doughy dog-cookie on the floor.

We cook ours on a pizza stone, at about 350 degrees. We preheat the oven with the stone inside, then get all the ingredients ready while it's heating. Take it out right before you're ready to lay on the toppings.

This is really so easy that you don't even need a recipe, but here's what you'll need:


Blue-cheese, red onion and pine nut pizza:

Good olive oil
Thinly sliced small red onion
Thinly sliced plum tomatoes (2)
Blue cheese, crumbled (we recently tried Rogue Creamery's new Smokey Blue on this pizza, which is also excellent in thin slices on toasted baguettes rubbed with garlic...)
a couple of tbsps of pine nuts
Mozzerella cheese (we used slices of fresh this time, but grated from a block will do also)
fresh basil, chiffonade (yes, those are little spots of dried basil in the picture, but do as I say, not as I do)

(chiffonade = shredded; just stack up a few leaves and roll them together tightly, then slice across very thinly)

Carmelized Onion and Balsamic Vegetable Pizza:
(**This is awesome, really. Something about the the sweet balsamic vinegar and the carmelized onion with the salty, tangy feta cheese and all the vegetables really balances out nicely**)

Good Balsamic Vinegar and Olive oil (mixed, heavier on the olive oil, but enough sweet balsamic to taste it; slather this on as your base)
1 small onion, thinly sliced and carmelized slowly over low heat
1 clove of garlic, minced and thrown in with the onions for the last 30 seconds
2 large handfuls of baby spinach
One thinly sliced plum tomato
One Portabello Mushroom, sliced
a few tbsp. of feta cheese, sprinkled about
Fresh Basil, chiffonade
Mozzerella, grated (or fresh)

We layer things in that order they're listed, pop the pizza in the oven, and about 20 minutes later, we're tearing into the gooey cheese and stuffing our faces with the stuff. Embarrassingly, Loving Boyfriend and I actually devoured an entire (medium to smallish sized) Carmelized onion and Balsamic pizza on Friday, all by ourselves. And enjoyed Every. Last. Bite.

Oink.

7 comments from you:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

Hi Anonymous,
Come on, if you're going to be so bold as to say something like that, you should at least be bold enough to leave your name!

Perhaps that's true. I'm sorry that you don't like the way that like feta cheese looks on pizza - I suppose we could have completely doused the top with mozzerella so that you couldn't see the other ingredients, but I prefer to eat pizza where I can taste more than just the cheese. You probably won't like the blue cheese pizza either then - considering that mold is one of the major ingredients!

Stephanie said...

I think it looks fantastic and the combination is exactly to my taste. And yes, I agree that if you want to make a cheesy comment, at least have the balls to make it under your own name.

vlb5757 said...

MIchelle-I love pie. It was so funny that you titled it that way. As I scrolled down, I thought it was the icing on a sticky bun! Okay, so I was hungry when I read it...well I am hungry all the time, but that's besides the point. lol! I can eat almost any kind of pizza. Even though the cheese makes me a bit ill, some times you must suffer for the cause. lol!

Deetsa said...

The pizza pie toppings sound amazing. It would be have to be on my side of the pizza though. French Frog can be so picky about the toppings. Both kinds have things that would not appeal to him. But IIIIIIIIIIIIIII like them.

I am inspired to try pizza even more after reading your post. I just got a pizza stone as a birthday present a few days back so I'm dying to see how it does.

PS: I've seen some mouldy foods in my time and your pizza pictures do NOT look mouldy.

Michelle said...

Hi MM, Ha Ha Ha! You always make me laugh - thanks, I needed that today!

Hi Vickie, I know; sometimes when I'm reading food blogs, I feel like I'm torturing myself, needlessly drooling over recipes I want to make. Poor you, if I was lactose intolerant, I would probably be sick all the time because I think dairy is my favorite. You could always use some soy cheese on your side too...have you tried it? Does it taste anything like 'real' cheese?

Hi Nerissa, LB and I often make pizzas 1/2 and 1/2 - he'll do his side with all the fatty, yummy stuff he loves (the chicken wing pizza is NOT healthy AT ALL!) and I'll put all the veggies and good stuff on mine! Pizza stones are awesome - it makes even frozen pizza taste better and crispier! Do try it! And thanks for standing up for me, sweetie.

Hi Paz, thanks! We love pizza too - in fact, I could eat some pizza right now. It think it's time for lunch...

Cyndi said...

Oooh I wish DH liked blue cheese. That combination sounds yummy. I just "discovered" pine nuts and blue cheese for my salads, and can't get enough of them. Maybe I'll just have to make my own pizza! He's more in to the pepperoni/mushroom kind.