21.6.06

Summer wishes


Happy Summer Solstice!

...and so summer begins,
bringing with it long days and warm soil
and giving forth the full bounty of the season...

ripe, luscious blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and gooseberries
tender shelling peas
fresh, plump, sweet figs
rich, soft avocados
smooth-skinned eggplants
brightly colored summer squash
and
gorgeous tomatoes still warm from the sun.

I hope this summer brings you all joy, happiness and great produce!


7 comments from you:

Joycelyn said...

hi michelle, gorgeous picture! what i'll do to sink my teeth into a real tomato (sadly, we only ever get the mealy grown-for-appearance-not-flavour types here in singapore)...

Anonymous said...

What a great picture!

Kate Croft said...

You too, Michelle! It was a perfect solstice here in New Yrok. As Barbara Kingsolver says in Progigal Summer:

Thanks for this day, for all birds safe in their nests, for whatever this is, for life.

Love ya!

cookiecrumb said...

Amen, and pass the tomatoes.

Michelle said...

J, you know if there was any way I could send you one, and have it reach you tasting and looking as it should, I would do it!

Julie, thanks for visiting! Summer also brings those gorgeous zucchini flowers...unfortunately I have a black zucchini thumb AND large healthy deer so I haven't been as lucky to try them as you!

Paz, thanks again, my dear and hugs right back to you in NYC!

KQ, only the BEST welcomes for MY friends!

Kate, I've been wanting to read that book forever - I love the quote. Glad to hear your summer solstice was exactly as it should be, my dear!

Cookiecrumb, Yep, AMEN! (too bad they're really still a little ways away, but hey, this one LOOKED good, and that's what I was after :)

Deetsa said...

Happy Summer, Michelle!

Michelle said...

Hi Nerissa, you too!