17.12.07

HotM 10: Quick and Easy


Hello blog friends! Sorry I haven't been around lately - I caught a nasty, nasty cold virus the day after Thanksgiving and then in the middle of trying to get over it, jetted off to the East Coast to visit LB's family and just returned last Thursday. I'm still struggling with the dregs of this dumb cold (yuck! it's been almost three weeks!), and LB and I are getting ready to leave again soon to visit my family for Christmas, but I'm hoping that this entry for HotM10: Quick and Easy to the lovely Ilva is on time (or that she will forgive my near tardiness?).

Since I am preparing for a scientific conference the beginning of January and attempting to finish my presentation before I leave (on Thursday!), I won't wax poetic and ramble on here today and will leave you with only the recipe and my comments on it. This is a tasty little dish...a bit tropical and cool for the winter days, but perhaps since I have a move to Hawaii on the brain, it seemed appropriate. It's also a nice change from all the heavier foods that are so prevalent this time of year. And of course, it's both low-calorie and low fat - so it's also heart healthy!

Chicken breasts with fruit salsa, serves 4

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray, plus 1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup low sodium, fat-free chicken broth

Salsa
2 cups frozen mango cubes, partially thawed and chopped
2 cups frozen pitted sour cherries, partially thawed and chopped
4 green onions, sliced thinly, mostly the white parts with some green
1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
3 tbsp. coarsly chopped fresh cilantro, with more for garnish
juice from one liime
pinch of salt

Trim the chicken and pat it dry, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and paprika on both sides. Coat the pan with cooking spray, then add the olive oil and heat on medium. Brown the chicken on both sides, then add 1/2 cup chicken broth and cook on medium for about 4 minutes. Turn and cook until the chicken is done, but still tender and moist, about 8-12 minutes. Add remaining broth as necessary. While chicken is cooking, mix all of the salsa ingredients together. Top the chicken with the salsa, garnish with cilantro and serve.

*Note: If you're not serving this right away, don't mix the cherries in with the salsa until you're ready - they bleed onto the bright goldeny mango and it looks much prettier right after it's mixed. Any extra frozen mango or cherries make a lovely addition to a morning smoothie with yogurt and honey or soy milk the next morning!

5 comments from you:

Ilva said...

Thanks Michelle, I'm happy that you managed to make this delicious entry!

Joanna said...

This looks delicious ... not sure I'm going to find frozen sour cherries in my supermarket, although they've recently started to stock frozen blueberries ... but I'm sure we'll think of something else to put in instead

Thanks for sharing ... have a happy Christmas

Joanna

Michelle said...

Hello my other HotM ladies! Thanks for stopping by - sorry this was so short on time! Joanna, this would probably be good with any other fruit that you would like with chicken - and would be even better in the summertime with fresh fruit...I went with the frozen because it's so expensive for fresh ones right now. Happy Christmas to you too!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I'm so late here. When you travel, sometimes the internet is elusive. Internet is difficult to come by in Death Valley!
I wouldn't have picked the cherries with this salsa but when I read it I know it's a great complement to this. Seems excellent right now if you ask me.

Anonymous said...

Cool! Chicken and fruit together in harmony. Looks really appetizing.