3.6.08

Rosemary Limeade and The Forgotten Post


Being a host for The Heart of the Matter, or any event for that matter, is a lot of responsibility. There are things that hosts are supposed to do. Like be on top of things, get their own entries done and up, make a decent round-up. People are expecting good things from you!

But sometimes you forget. You get wrapped up in your own life and doing your own things and let yourself get busy. Sometimes you choose your recipe and make something lovely in the beginning of the month, so that you won't have to remember in the midst of all the rest of the things going on to come up with something spectacular. It's not that you don't love being a host, or love the adventure of cooking around a theme, it's just that sometimes, life is busy. You take your pictures, edit them, come up with ideas for what you'll post about it.

And you feel proud of yourself and proud that you've done your duty and can just get focused on getting the rest of the entries together and up on the web site for the round-up. You go through the rest of the month thinking things are going great and you did what you needed to do, and then the round-up comes and you're putting it all together and posting pictures and doing small write-ups about all of the lovely people that joined in and participated in your event, and then as you that very last entry up, you realize... you forgot to post your entry.

Oops. I made a refreshing Rosemary Limeade for this month's Heart of the Matter, centered around the theme of dishes with herbs as a main ingredient. I took my pictures, I thought up a post (but I've forgotten it now...it's a shame), and I put it away to do a bit later on in the month. I thought I had lots of time - a whole month is quite a bit of time, right? Not always. Sometimes time flies by and you don't even realize that things have passed. I'm teaching now and the first time you teach a course (Introductory Biology, in my case), it is always crazy and you are always only a day or two ahead of your students, writing your lectures, grading their homework. Bet you thought teachers always knew all about what they were teaching, eh? I'll let you in on a little secret: Not when they haven't taught it before (or taken it for over 10 years - I think I'm studying harder than most of my students!).

Well, friends, and fellow heart-healthy eaters - I'm going to try not to let that happen again! See you at the round-up next month, and hopefully once teaching slows down (it'll be over the middle of July), I'll be able to write posts about all the pictures and dishes I've been storing up - of course I'm still cooking, one has to eat!

This could also be made with a bit of mint, basil or lemon verbena perhaps instead of rosemary, but the rosemary gives it an earthy, almost extra vibrancy. The only change I made was to add more rosemary and decrease the simple syrup because the way the recipe was written there was quite a bit of extra syrup and I wasn't quite sure what to do with it but add it to iced tea since I didn't have any more limes! I'm going to try the limeade base with a bit of coconut juice next time to add a different flavor, as this is definitely going to be a mainstay at our house through the "dog" days of summer. Make a whole batch - I promise it won't last long!

Rosemary Limeade, makes 1 gallon
Altered slightly from the great cookbook, With a Measure of Grace (more on this cookbook and the amazing women who wrote it, soon)

4 cups simple syrup:
3 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 stems fresh rosemary

4 cups fresh lime juice
10 cups water

Make the simple syrup. Combine water and sugar in a sauce pan, and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar dissolves, and then boil, undisturbed and uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the rosemary stems. Cover, and let steep for 1 hour. Add 4 cups of the simple syrup to the lime juice and water, stir and serve over ice. Delicious!

9 comments from you:

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

I try to make Gorn lemonade when he mows the yard. I'll try to remember a little mint or rosemary next time.

Ilva said...

definitely worth waiting for Michelle! thanks!(And don't I know that feeling when it comes to teaching a new course!)

Anonymous said...

Looks so refreshing! I'm sorry I missed this last HotM... I just couldn't pull it off before getting on the road.

In other matters, I have been eyeing your squid ink pasta with summer squash post for the last few days. I think it will be appearing over at RR quite soon. :-)

Michelle said...

Tanna, it's nice to help make give it a little more *spark*! Uh oh, now LB will be wanting me to bring him something refreshing after mowing the lawn...

Ilva, thanks! Yes, I'm sure you do!!

Ann, that happens to the *best* of us! Good! I hope you like the squid ink pasta - I found it to be quite different and delightful!

Katie Zeller said...

I love limeade! I bet it would be good with lemon balm, too...
Pretty pic's.

Atajev said...

Oh, this is delicious! I have a massive rosemary bush at my new place and have been looking for ways to use it that don't involve turning on the oven or stove because it's also very hot here. This is absolutely perfect!

It reminds me a lot of our new favorite cocktail, the basil gimlet. We recreated it after being served one at a restaurant in San Francisco. It's 2 oz. gin, 1 oz. simple syrup, 1 oz. lime juice, and about 5 large basil leaves. Pulverize the leaves with a muddler or in a mortar and pestle. Combine all ingredients with ice in a shaker, shake, then strain into a martini glass.

I think we'll also have to try the gimlet now with some rosemary!

Dawn said...

hi Michelle, this looks yummy! And I like atajev's idea of adding a splash of booze to it!

I actually ran across another website (stumbled) that had a title at the top of the page reading "The Accidental Scientist," which of course reminded me that I needed to stop by! It's over at exploratorium.edu/cooking if you want to peek.

Anonymous said...

I love the sound and look of your Rosemary limeade. I'm going to have to try it. ;-)

Paz

Michelle said...

Katie, Oh yes! I'm sure it would! That's a tough one to find here though, but I'd love to grow it and there are so many uses for lemon balm too!

Atajev, That's such a fabulous idea for a drink - now I'm going to have to try yours! Let me know how the rosemary gimlet comes out!

Dawn, hello dear! Thanks for the heads up - I'll have to check this other accidental scientist out...

Paz, Good to see you! I hope you like it!