I was recently tagged for a meme by the lovely Deb at Kahakai Kitchen. Deb has delicious recipes and great photography on her blog and is far better at I am at showing people little bits of Hawaii - while she's only been blogging since April, she's been in Hawaii for seven years, making her a fabulous resource! Not only that, she's super prolific and her blog is a joy to read, so it's always fun to see what new she has to say nearly every day.
I discovered Deb's blog while looking for Hawaii food blogs and I'm so glad I did - it's been wonderful getting to know her! I haven't participated in a meme in quite some time, especially with my almost year-long hiatus from blogging while I finished up my degree, so I guess you know you're back in the swing of things when they start coming around to you again! It's been really fun discovering new blogs and I always enjoy reading everyone's answers. Thanks for tagging me, Deb! You can read Deb's meme answers here.
1. Last Movie I Saw In A Movie Theater?
Batman...on the Friday when it opened. No, I didn't dress up. But I thought about it. For about 2 seconds.
2. What Book Are You Reading? 1) Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, 2) Wicked, by Gregory Maguire, and next on the list is The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollen (yes, I realize that I am probably the only foodie on the planet that hasn't read it yet, but I haven't ever seen the movie Trainspotting yet either...somehow when you miss the first boat, the second is a long time coming!). I don't know if I've ever mentioned my book fetish...maybe it's better to keep something to yourself? So many books to read...so little time.
3. Favorite Board Game? You know you've finally become your parents when one of your favorite past-times is inviting your friends over for board games...it might be even worse when you start inviting your neighbors over because you just have to find someone to play with you! I love board games! Our most recent indulgence has been a fair amount of Parcheesi, but I also love Apples to Apples, Go to the Head of the Class and any other game that I can beat LB at playing.
4. Favorite Magazine?
I'm with Debbie here: Donna Hay -- food porn at its finest!
5. Favorite Smells? Fresh, outdoor air - be it at the beach or the mountains. And that after-rain earthy smell. Coconut, vanilla, freshly baked bread.
6. Favorite Sounds?
ocean waves, laughter, tropical birds (only past 7 AM).
7. Worst Feeling In The World?
feeling like I've disappointed or failed someone I care about.
8. First Thing You Think of When You Wake?
"It's too early and I don't want to be awake yet - must. go. back. to. sleep!"
9. Favorite Fast Food Place?
I don't eat at fast food places. But I would (and have) eat(en) at Burgerville.
10. Future Child’s Name?
I wouldn't want to jinx 'em! Picking a kid's name is serious business too. I have a theory that your kid turns into what you name them. You have to be careful about that!
11. Finish This Statement—“If I Had a Lot of Money,"
I would open my own gourmet food store/deli.
12. Do You Drive Fast? In my opinion, no, but I have been called "lead-foot" by various people in my life...
13. Do You Sleep With a Stuffed Animal?
Does LB count?
14. Storms—cool or scary?
Cool, unless they are really bad storms that cause a lot of chaos. Safe but big storms: cool, especially if there is thunder and lightning.
15. What Was Your First Car?
My 1st car had a name: The Piece. It was a Nissan Pulsar. I had it for 6 months and was only able to drive it for 2 of those six months because it was broken down the rest of the time. I sold it to a guy; and on the way home, the transmission went out on him. I also accidentally pushed it into a ditch once. But that's another story.
16. Favorite Drink?
Coconut Mojito! Oh, did you mean non-alcoholic? Right now, I'd have to go with coconut water. I'm new to Hawaii: all this coconut stuff is still novel! Plus, it's fat free and cholesterol free and all that good stuff, but still tastes decadent.
17. Finish This Statement—“If I Had the Time, I Would…"
travel all over the world, eating and drinking and laughing. (Guess I would need money for all of that too.)
18. Do You Eat the Stems on Broccoli?
Not usually, but strangely, lately I've been debating that very question.
19. If You could Dye your Hair Any Other Color, What Would It Be?
I like my hair color! But sometimes I would change it from curly to straight just to try something different (and because curly hair is a pain in the ass when it's humid).
20. Name All the Different Cities In Which You Have Lived - Grand Junction & Fort Collins, Colorado; Seward, Alaska; Monterey, California; Coos Bay & Eugene, Oregon; Kaneohe, Hawaii.
21. Favorite Sport to Watch? Not a huge TV sports fan (live sports are entirely different), but probably basketball or football IF it's a team that I have some reason for loyalty to a particular team (ie. it's LBs favorite or from my home town/state of Colorado - and home town/state wins over LB's favorite if they are playing each other). I can also dig on baseball during the world series, IF it's a team I have some reason for loyalty to also (ie. see above).
22. One Nice Thing About The Person Who Sent This To You She lives on the same island as I do out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean! Plus, it looks like she makes amazing food and I want to convince her to be my new friend. ;)
23. What’s Under Your Bed?
Dog hair. Lots and lots and lots of dog hair. I don't go under there; it may have developed its own personality by now and I'm afraid I'd lose a hand or an arm if I stuck it under there.
24. Would You Like to Be Born As Yourself Again?
Um...only if I had a recollection of all of the things I have been through in this life already...and if I didn't have to relive some of the them.
25. Morning Person or Night Owl?
Neither, really. I like to sleep at least 9 hours, but my clock has been all screwed up since I moved here and now I wake up at 6 AM and I'm exhausted by 10 PM - still trying to shift it over. It's embarrassing to be 30 and yawning at 9:30 PM.
26. Over Easy or Sunny Side Up?
Over medium! NO runny whites and there has to be enough toast or crispy potatoes to hold up against the ratio of runny yolk.
27. Favorite Place to Relax?
The beach, baby! With a chair and a good book. Or drinking wine with friends.
28. Favorite Ice Cream Flavor?
Anything with lots of "goodies" or chunks in it. And it has to have chocolate in it somewhere.
29. Of All the People You Have Tagged, Who Is the Most Likely to Respond First?
Whew! Now the *fun* part of the meme - tagging 4-5 other bloggers. And I really appreciated Deb letting me know she had tagged me, so I'm going to do the same for my tagged bloggers!
- Nerissa, from Deetsa's Diningroom. Nerissa is currently exploring France with her husband and prince, The Frog, (go read her incredibly rich descriptions of the food and experiences she's having there!)and has been a long-time blog friend...so hopefully she'll forgive me for tagging her and giving her something more to do when she gets back. (xoxo Nerissa!).
- Melissa at Gluten Free For Good. Melissa is a nutrition expert and her blog is full of beautiful photography and helpful information. Although I see that she is embarking on a trip soon, I'd love to learn more about her and hopefully she won't mind a meme when she gets back!
- Dawn at Colorado Foodie. Both Dawn and Melissa live in Colorado, so they're my connections to home. Dawn started her blog at the same time I did and she's been away lately and I've been missing her blog, so hopefully the meme will get her going again!
- Paz at the Cooking Adventures of Chef Paz. It's been amazing watching the evolution of Paz, both in her cooking ability (she claims she started as a novice) and her photography and her site is simply beautiful. She also takes time out on Mondays to show her readers around New York. Having never been there myself, it's fun to see this place through her eyes! ** update: oh no! Paz is recovering from surgery, so this tag will have to wait...I hope you have a speedy recovery, Paz!