11.9.08

A Cure for the Grumpies

So, I have a little confession to make...I get grumpy when I am hungry and when my blood sugar gets low. And when I say this, I don't mean "grumpy" as in a little testy or sad or cute-when-you're-mad sort of grumpy. No, when I say "grumpy," I mean full-on, ready-to-battle, talk-to-me-or-look-at-me-sideways-and-I-will-rip-your-head-off grumpy.

This confession will come as no surprise to LB (in fact, I think the last moniker he mumbled under his breath for me after a recent *episode* was something like "mean devil woman" - I heard you by the way, LB). Poor LB has been the recipient of my grumpiness on the way home from work on more than one occasion when I had salad for lunch (I actually refrain now from having only salad for lunch - I'm convinced that salad is not really "lunch"...it's only lettuce leaves and therefore disappears from my belly quickly - or it has a secret compound that activates my grumpiness in 3-4 hours). I know, however, that this is not a phenomenon that is unique to me and me alone. In fact, I know it happens to many other women out there because I have seen and heard their husbands/boyfriends/parents chime in when LB starts describing this particular trait of mine to friends - just why he feels the need to share this information with them in the first place is beyond me, but that's another discussion. Does it happen to men too? Probably. But not LB. Which only makes me grumpier when I am already grumpy.

"Why the hell aren't you grumpy too? Aren't you starving? I'm starving. And stop looking at me like that..."
Well, if you happen to be one of those women (or even better, if you live with one of them - because when we're like this, we're practically incapable of doing anything but being grumpy, trust me!) or if you happen to be a man that is not like LB, then this recipe is a good one to have on hand. It's also just a great dish if you've just come home from work and you're tired, you're hungry, (you're grumpy), you don't have anything specific planned for dinner, and you're supposed to be somewhere in an hour (or, maybe not). This is a great dish for when you want something that will fill the empty void (or, perhaps, the enormous abyss) in your stomach, that tastes delicious and doesn't take a lot of work. This is the kind of food that is hearty, comforting and easy...and heck, it's just simply good. And it will certainly cure even the meanest case of the Grumpies.

In fact, I can't even take credit for this little beauty really - the idea isn't even my own. I saw a coworker eating her version of this dish and it looked so delicious that I asked what was in it, then went with what I had on hand (okay, I'm totally lying - I went right out and bought the broccoli because it looked so darn good on her version and the potatoes because I didn't have any, and then went with what I had on hand). So, you can (and should) switch up the ingredients if you don't have the exact ones that are listed here. You can add spices as you feel like or go with your intuition. Mine didn't even need any because the sausage had so much flavor (and heat - the good kind of heat) by itself, but if you don't choose flavored sausages, a tsp. or so of red pepper flakes or a few fresh herbs (thyme, maybe? or basil) would be a nice addition. This would also be an easy vegetarian recipe, and probably be just as tasty - add tempeh maybe or just go with the veggies and potatoes (potatoes are fairly filling on their own I suppose), using vegetable broth instead of chicken and adding a few spices for extra flavor. Either way, you have a meal in minutes to enjoy with hardly any work required at the stove...and who knows, it could even save your spouse from cowering in the closet for most of the evening.


Simply Good Sausage and Potato Supper, serves 4

4 sausages, sliced on a bias - I used Aidells Habanero and Green Chili
cooking spray or olive oil spritzer
2 tsp. olive oil
1 small head of broccoli, florets sliced into 1/4"-1/2" slices (add the stem too if you'd like)
1 medium sized yellow or sweet onion, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 medium sized carrot, sliced on a bias
2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
6 red potatoes, cut in quarters
1 - 1 1/2 cups of chicken stock or broth, divided (preferably stock because it has more flavor)
salt and pepper, to taste

Spray a large saute' pan with olive oil or cooking spray and allow it to heat up over medium high heat. Add the sausages and cook until browned on both sides. Remove the sausages with a slotted spoon and place aside. Add 1 tsp. olive oil to the pan, then add broccoli, onion, red pepper and carrot to the pan and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30 seconds. Add the potatoes to the pan, and about 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Cover and cook until the stock has reduced and nearly disappeared, and stirring the mixture occasionally. Keep adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time until the potatoes are tender and unctuous. Add the sausages back to the pan, season with salt and pepper and mix gently. Serve.

9 comments from you:

Zoomie said...

Sounds good and filling! Another wonder is a good stir-fry - only 25 minutes from in-the-door to sitting-down-at-table! The trick is to start the rice, prepare the rest for stir-frying while the rice cooks. Filling, good for you, completely adjustable of ingredients (except the rice!). Enjoy!

cookiecrumb said...

Maybe you should carry emergency cheese cubes with you! :(

Katie Zeller said...

Ummmm..... That serves 4? Not at our house... (And we are not overweight)
Looks delicious...
I know our sausages are smaller- 4 would be about 8oz... Maybe our potatoes are smaller, too hahahaha!
And why do men do that????

Michelle said...

Zoomie, very true! We eat a lot of stir-fry around here just for that reason! This was actually surprisingly filling too, which is nice when you're hungry!

Cookie, Ha ha - I'll remember that for next time. I do try to bring extra fruit or something if I know my lunch is paltry (and I've started sequestering snacks at work - don't tell LB!)

Katie, That's true! You're definitely NOT overweight as I've seen your picture! It may be the smaller thing over there (I wish America was like that). I actually only used 3 potatoes and 2 sausages when I made this and we had about three servings, one left over, so I upped the amounts to make it 4. With all the veggies it fills out quite a bit and it's surprisingly filling for being so simple. And to answer your last question - I have NO idea!!!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That will win my heart AND tummy! Ha, I even have the broccoli!
Why is it guys don't get it that you really need three meals a day. This body does not work with out eating. (ah well even then it's sometimes questionable)

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Annie gets really grumpy / snippy when she gets hungry too. Better to keep snacks on hand like bananas or nuts.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I hear you. I get real grumpy, too. ;-) Your sausage and potato recipe would definitely cure the grumpies for me. Yum, yum, yum!

Paz

Deb in Hawaii said...

I share in your grumpiness--I am so not fun to be around if I am hungry! This looks really good.
Looking forward to "value" shopping with you tomorrow. ;-)

Michelle said...

Tanna, That's a good question! I pretty much shut down without food too (after I get grumpy that is...maybe grumpiness is my body's way of warning me that's coming?!)

Nate, And I bet you know just how to handle her when she does! I think it's pretty common in women...here has to be some kind of men this happens to, right??? ;)

Paz, good to see you! We all have our little quirks, don't we?!

Deb, me too! Thanks so much for thinking of me!