7.12.09

Heart of the Matter #32: Breads - Sweet and Savory


I don’t know about all of you, but I love the holiday season. It’s like a food-lover’s dream – the possibilities for making and eating delicious food are blissfully endless. I spend hours pouring over every food-themed magazine I can find and picking out all the cookie recipes and other fun foods that I want to make this holiday season…this year? Eggnog and a yule log...wow, that even rhymes. Plus, I’d love to hold a cookie exchange with my friends this year. Do you have anything you’re hoping to make this month?

The holidays are a perfect time of year for this month’s Heart of the Matter theme, “Breads: Sweet and Savory.” There are so many kinds of breads that go perfectly with the cooler weather that we’re getting here…warm, yeasty boules filled with herbs and crackled crusts, sweet loaves packed with tart cranberries and ginger to be eaten with tea, sticky rolls for breakfast…it will be a challenging just choosing what kind of a bread to make! And yes, believe it or not, we get cooler weather here in Hawaii! Along with lots of winter rain…and last week, it even snowed on Mauna Kea, the huge volcano that is on the Big Island! Even my hometown in Colorado is in the holiday spirit, getting decked out for a white Christmas with nearly 10 inches of snow coming in today!

So this month, send in your entry for a sweet or a savory bread (or heck, go wild and do both!). And of course it should please be heart-healthy too: your entry should be low in saturated fats (ie. not too much butter!), be low in salt (sodium), and if you'd like, abundant with vegetables or herbs or fruit. If you want to get more information, check out our useful links in the right hand marginal of the HotM blog. Please only use your entry for this event so that we can keep things centred on heart-healthy recipes and please link to the event as well. Send your entries to me at phillipslayden AT gmail DOT com before (your) midnight Thursday, December 31, and please put "HotM" in your subject line so I can keep track of all the entries! ;) I'll post the round-up on January 1st so that we can all eat these healthy breads as part of our healthy new year's resolutions!

6 comments from you:

Jenn said...

I’m not a stick thin model by any means but I do like to stay healthy. When the holidays come around I usually stay in big clothes and hide all the mirrors. After a recommendation from a co-worker, she told me to check out a nutritionist named Rose Cole. I went to her site www.RoseCole.com/HolidayCookbook and found some amazing recipes that are great tasting and healthy! I highly recommend you check it.

Amy said...

That's true, when it's the holiday season , all I can think about are the tasty treats! It's crazy, but we should always be reminded to take everything in moderation, or as much as possible pick treats that are still healthy. Doing that makes me feel no guit when I ravage the sweets, haha. :-)

Meatloaf Recipe said...

Amazing Post! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Free Online Recipes said...

I like to eat this heart! This looks yummy and tasty! Thanks to admin for this great article.

Kim said...

I think I have read this post a little too late but if there were any winning recipes you would like to post - I would love to see them!

Bus Rental said...

Awesome share mate you have done an excellent job by posting this topic,as i was looking for it for the past three days,the words chosen in this paragraph are great and the main idea of the topic is conveyed superbly,keep up the good work mate.