21.10.05

Roasted bosc pears with pomegranate glaze


This is one of those desserts I pull out of the recipe box whenever I want to impress my guests, as it looks so elegant and has a deep, rich, burgandy color that is just beautiful, and plus, it's incredibly easy. I especially love the way the orange zest sticks to the sides of the pears. My parents were in town this weekend and I made this dessert their last night here (perhaps in an effort to lure them back sooner rather than later?). The recipe is from last year's October issue of Bon Appetit, and the picture here just does not do it any justice whatsoever. Dumb kitchen lighting!

Here's how to make it:
Roasted bosc pears with pomegranate glaze, from Bon Appetit

Ingredients:

4 bosc pears, with stems intact (Make sure they're ripe - they should give slightly at the top, near the stem, and smell like pears...stick them in a paper bag for a day or two if need be. There were a lot of complaints on the web site about this dish taking longer than the recipe says, but I think they just didn't let their pears ripen! Every time I've done it, the pears have been very tender at the end of an hour)
3/4 cup of dry red wine (syrah, or zinfandel, but I've also used merlot)
3/4 cup of pomegranate juice (I use POM)
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tsp. grated organge peel (or strips of orange zest is what I usually do as it looks prettier)
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half

To serve: vanilla bean ice cream, and biscotti if you'd like

Preheat oven to 350F. Place everything but the pears in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir and cook until sugar dissolves (about 3 minutes). Peel the pears (Leave the stems intact! This is what makes the dessert so pretty!) and scoop out the core from the bottom with a melon baller or teaspoon. Cut the bottom of the pear off slightly to flatten it so that it will sit up straight. Then, place the pears in an oven-proof dish standing up, and pour the sauce over the top of them. Place it in the oven and cook for 1 hour, or until tender, basting the pears with the sauce every 15-20 minutes. Transfer the pears to a serving platter or plates or bowls (I do bowls) and pour the sauce back into the saucepan. Simmer until reduced to 2/3 cup, from 5-10 minutes. Spoon glaze over pears. Serve with ice cream and biscotti.

Bon Appetit uses this amount of sauce for 6 pears, but I like having the extra sauce with the ice cream. Enjoy!

7 comments from you:

vlb5757 said...

I loved poached pears. It's funny that you picked a recipe from BA to feature today. I am sitting on the floor of my office all day today organizing all my BAs, Cooking Lights and Cuisine at Home. I have stacks here, there, everywhere. I just thinking about pitching the BAs, but maybe I won't now...

vlb5757 said...

Okay, should have said, I like pears no matter how you fix them.

Ilva said...

This I like! I'll try this one rainy sunday when we need to be cheered up!

Michelle said...

Hi Vickie! I have the same problem - stacks and stacks of magazines that I don't want to throw out because I know I'll get around to trying that recipe some day...I finally started buying the CL annual recipes to regain more space for the current ones!

Hi Ilva!
I hope you like it! It sounds like you might be having some rainy sundays headed your way :( so I hope it brings a smile to your face on a rainy day!

Michelle said...

Hi Melissa!
Welcome back! I'll check it out...and brush up on my Spanish so that I can still read what you write even if you don't choose to do it in English!

Dawn said...

I am so sad to say I've never had a poached pear. I love pears though! The ingredients sound strong flavored...do you still taste the pear flavor?

Michelle said...

Hi Melissa,
Well sure! I'll do it, though it might take me a bit! Things are really busy here at work, and it's my only access to a computer. Do invite Vickie and Mark, I'm sure they're up for anything!

Hi So-cal Foodie,
You should definitely try it...there are lots of other recipes out there. And yes, there are some strong flavors in this one, but the flavor really is in the sauce, and even though you peel the pears, it still only soaks into the outer layer, so you do still taste the pear itself.