26.10.05

Some girls get flowers, some foodies get pumpkins

Loving Boyfriend, and I must give him kudos for this, is not one to get flowers for me when he's pissed me off. Instead, he gives me flowers on days when I'm feeling down, when he wants to surprise me with something nice, sometimes just to celebrate how great things have been between us (I know, oh, barf), and often, for no reason at all. He picks out each bloom with care and makes his own beautiful creations to give me. I love that he does this.

However, when he does irk me in some way or another, like he did a weekend or so ago (although, I must confess that his incredibly charming smile is often enough to make me forget why I was ever upset in the first place, and lucky for him, I already can't remember why I was upset), he finds other ways to reconcile. This time, he came home with this...


The most perfectly shaped pumpkin I've ever seen. Now, this isn't exactly a pumkin that screams, "Cook with me," as it's a bit too big and I think the flavor might lack a bit, but it does scream out to me, "Carve me!" In essence...a blank slate.

This takes me back to my younger days: days when mom would take us to the grocery store to pick out our favorite pumpkin from the giant wooden bins that showed up a few weeks before Halloween. We would choose our pumpkins, take them home, and spread out tons of newspaper on the floor, drawing and designing the faces of our pumpkins to the best of our not-exactly-artistic abilities, and spend hours carving into them amidst the cautions from my mother, "Don't chop your fingers off! Be careful with that knife!" My father (my parents are divorced, and both re-married to wonderful people), I remember, also used to get very into this seasonal art (he is a very skilled artist, although he doesn't get to use his talents very often these days), and even purchased a set of small pumpkin carving knives that we would often use to carve out elaborate designs on our pumpkins at his house. After the grueling work was finished, we would light up a candle, place it inside our creations, and put the pumpkin artwork on display on the front porch, where it usually remained until nature got ahold of it and the faces started to change with the folds and creases of decay. The best part of carving pumpkins, of course, is sticking your hands into the ooey-gooey orange mess of seeds and strings inside the pumpkin and pulling out the seeds to roast and toast in the oven.

All of this got me thinking. Since I wanted to name the title of this post what I did (well, I think it's cute anyway!), and since I had promised I would mention that he'd gotten me a pumpkin instead of flowers - I was thinking how I could incorporate a Jack-o-lantern pumpkin, more suited to carving than to cooking, into my foodie blogging world. I thought, well, I could carve something foodie-oriented in it...thinking perhaps apple trees, foodie gadgets, etc. Anyone have any creative ideas? Anyone as dorky as me and actually done this? I haven't gotten to it quite yet, but as soon as it's carved, I'll post a picture and we can all have a good laugh about how my father's artistic ability didn't get passed down!

14 comments from you:

vlb5757 said...

I love Loving Boyfriend already! Darling Husband doesn't bring flowers very often either, but once-in-awhile he will and I will be shocked. Now I have trained him to bring things like a bottle of wine, a Vanilla candle or something like that. I am now working on my birthday wish list. My birthday is coming up next week and I am lusting after a round thick hardwood cutting board. I went to TJ Maxx today and saw one for $50 and I mentioned it passing this evening. There is no guarantee that I will get it, but maybe I can wear him down!

I have never been very good at pumpkin carving but that one looks pretty good to be carved on. I can't wait to see what creative idea springs forth!

Michelle said...

Oh, great idea! Wine, candles, romance...are you getting this Loving Boyfriend???? (I know you're reading this, so now you can't get out of it!)

We're having a halloween party this weekend that we're about to start decorating for...so I'm sure I'll have pictures soon!

Your birthday is coming up? What day? How about you email me your address and I'll send you some fun goodies from Oregon as my "Happy Birthday to you, Vickie!" Please? Please let me... No sugar or milk involved...

mphilli4@darkwing.uoregon.edu

vlb5757 said...

I tell you what. We can exchange boxes. I will think of some Virginia things to send to you and you can send me an autographed copy of Loving Boyfriend in Spandex. lol.

Boy! You really do pay attention to my eating habits. Very good. I'm impressed! You get a cookie!

vlb5757 said...

Melissa, go to my blog and access my profile. My E address is up now so you can E mail me and I will send you my address. You don't need to send anything. Well maybe, how about that Lobster Lasagna recipe for hubby? That would work for sure. Maybe I can get that cutting board as a reward for your Lobster Lasagna!

Michèle said...

Very cute that he brought you home a pumpkin. Im not so sure what Halloween is like in France but Im sure its not what Im used to.. I will definitely miss it this year. Hopefully I can at least find a pumpkin to carve!

Ilva said...

I just got 1 1/2 pumpkin but they are of the Mantova type, i.e. not the Halloween type. But it doesn't matter as we don't celebrate, we just EAT!

Dawn said...

I think the apple tree is a lovely thought but I'm not sure how difficult it would be. I'll have to think about it a little more. I also have to figure out what I'm going to carve in mine! And Vickie I'm coming to get that address too!

Michelle said...

Hi Melissa! Stay tuned...

Hi Michele! Do tell what Halloween is like in Paris...I'm curious to see. I hope you can find a pumpkin too...and someone to carve it with.

Hi Ilva! I've never heard of a Mantova pumpkin, but it sounds intriguing - I can't wait to see what you make with it!

Hi Dawn! We'll have to see...I'm feeling pretty adventurous, and we're carving pumpkins this evening for a children's nature walk, so I may just try some out before I ruin mine :) Do tell when you carve some more - yours were so cool!

vlb5757 said...

Michelle, you will have to post the pictures of what you carve. Darling Hubby brought his laptop and we got a room with high speed and I can check your blog while I am vacation. Now how is that for hooked up??

Shauna said...

Adorable. He's adorable. And I love all things pumpkin. The orange against those lavender walls is just smashing.

Joycelyn said...

that is an utterly perfect specimen...can't wait to see the carved result...

Anonymous said...

That really is a beautiful pumpkin!

Shauna said...

Michelle-

Where'd you go? I miss your new posts!

vlb5757 said...

Shauna, I was just checking to see if Michelle had posted something new. I was going to say the very same thing you just did! I am looking forward to a new post also! So Michelle...where are you dear?