31.7.06

Something for those days when even your skin feels like too much clothing


The last few weeks have been busy (as you may have noticed from the negligence of my poor little blog...I'm sorry!) and HOT. Super HOT. 100+ F degrees HOT and don't you think for a minute that particular "F" means "Fahrenheit." Luckily, it's now starting to cool off, but this dandy little salad has gotten me through it all.

This recipe is super adaptable – you can add whatever you like to it, and it still tastes delicious. Other add-ins or substitutions could include artichoke hearts, shaved fennel, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, pecorino cheese, parsley or other herbs.

Chopped Tuna Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette, adapted from Real Simple
Serves 4.

2 six oz. cans of tuna, drained (*my pick: Italian tuna packed in olive oil, drained)
1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 12 oz. jar of roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tbsp. capers
zest of 1 lemon, grated
10 cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
10-15 black olives cured in olive oil, pitted (optional)
1/4 cup thinly sliced celery (optional)
2 tbsp. basil, chopped
3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
toasted pita bread, for serving.

In a large bowl, combine the tuna, beans, red peppers, onion, capers, lemon zest, tomatoes, and olives and celery (if using). Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and black pepper in a separate bowl. Pour vinaigrette over the tuna mixture and toss. Serve with toasted pita bread.

** For those of you in Eugene, Italian tuna in olive oil and olive oil-cured black olives are both available at PC Market of Choice. And truly, the tuna makes a huge difference!

7 comments from you:

Ilva said...

It's still hot here so I will absolutely make your little salad! Sounds & looks so good!

Deetsa said...

aw babe, I hear you about the weather. It was over 35°C (equivalent to what you had in F*@ยต!) here over two weeks too. Read my first installment of my German/Alsace trip and you'll see I wasn't happy that day. Thankfully we've cooled off too. I can't tell you how happy that has made me.You sound happy about it too.

The salad looks great and looks like just the thing for the heat. If they'd have let me and I wasn't such a pushover I'd have survived on premade couscous salad and cukes from the store the last two weeks OR a salad like yours.

LOVE the title of this post ;-)

vlb5757 said...

This sounds perfect for the hot weather we are having here. I love grilling in the summer, but it's really just too hot for even that right now. How are the wedding plans going?

Jen said...

Thanks for your mention of garbanzo beans, it reminded me to do what I've been meaning to for ages, and compile myself a little anglo-american translation dictionary of food terms! (We call them chick peas in England) :-)

We've been having some crazy hot weather over here too, so this little salad sounds good!

barb said...

I too invested in a few cans of really good Italian tuna packed in oil....much more flavor. I didn't have any garbanzo beans so I used canned cannelini beans that had been rinsed. Rave reviews thanks so very much.

Michelle said...

Hi Doodles! Thanks for visiting my site! I'm happy to hear that you liked this recipe - we've made it a few times now and it's so nice because it's so adaptable. I actually think that the original recipe called for cannelini beans - I just didn't have any when I made it the first time and I really liked the texture of the garbonzos. Bravo to you!

Hi Paz! Me too - and it was!

Michelle said...

Weird...I don't know where my other responses went! Anyhow...

Hi Ilva! I was thinking of you when I was talking about how hot it was here!

Hi Nerissa! Yea, this heat is unbearable (it makes me grumpy too)! I just bought some cukes and couscous, actually, and am thinking of subsisting on that even though it's cooling off! Glad you liked the title...

Hi Vickie! I know you've been feeling that awful heat too - we're lucky now that it's finally cooking down. Wedding plans are SLOW...I want to do it all RIGHT NOW but there's no money and nobody else is half as excited as I am to sit around and think about it!!

Hi Jen! Glad you came by for a visit! I like your translation table a lot - it would have been even more helpful to me about a year ago when I was looking for those very terms!!

Hi KQ! Me neither! But now that I've tried it, I keep going back! Although, I don't think I'd put this on a sandwich...