10.11.06

Breakfast fit for a king...or a queen...


Weekend breakfasts feel special. LB wakes up early and takes the dogs out of the bedroom as soon as they start whining for breakfast (one of their most annoying habits), and I get to sleep an extra hour or until I'm ready to get up (I told you he was quite wonderful!). For whatever reason, I need 9 hours of sleep to feel like a normal person...there's none of that "8 hours of sleep" for me! I don't usually get those nine hours of sleep I need, but I do try to get as many as I can on the weekends. Once I'm up and around, we make coffee (so that it doesn't sit on the coffee pot warmer and get nasty!) and then usually LB will make breakfast.

LB loves whipping up a weekend breakfast. He certainly makes a mean meal of perfectly runny eggs, crispy potatoes and toast, and he's also learning how to make delicious fritattas and has his very own modified pancake recipe. Basically, I get to feel like a queen on Saturday mornings. So sometimes, I like to make LB feel like a king too...by making him something special and very out of the ordinary for breakfast.

If I could imagine the perfect breakfast food for LB, it would be apple turnovers. He loves apple turnovers. In fact, I think that if I made a trip down to the coast to collect my research samples and didn't come back with a Tomaselli's apple turnover, LB might rethink this marriage thing all together.

With no research trips planned this winter, LB is very lucky that I came across this recipe by Barefoot Contessa for fresh, easy apple turnovers. Even easier than I could have possibly imagined! Even better is that it's perfectly adaptable. I've used lemon juice and lemon zest instead of orange; dried cranberries or raisins instead of dried cherries; added nuts and imagined so many possibilities (some of which you may be seeing soon). All you need to do is to remember to take out the puff pastry the night before and you have an extremely easy breakfast that's impressive enough to serve guests. Supposedly, you can also even make the turnovers the night before and just toss them in the oven before breakfast. No matter what, they're delicious. We also added our own touch: cinnamon glaze to give it a little added sweetness to help balance out the tartness of the apples. Just mix 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar with just enough water (or OJ) to make it so that you can drizzle it across your turnovers. Add a pinch of cinnamon to that, and start your drizzling. Mmmm....delicious.

Even better, now LB knows how to make them! I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow...
Have a wonderful, food-filled, sleep-filled weekend! And don't forget to get your ideas in for LB's new name...only 1 week to go!

4 comments from you:

Anonymous said...

Puff pastry was always scary for me until I tried it one day and it just makes life lots more fun! Great idea on the turnover and I love all the variety possibilities.

Michelle said...

Me too! But now I love it...although I still have issues with phyllo dough, which is not nearly as forgivable!

Anonymous said...

LB gets up early and takes the dogs out so you can sleep? What a great boyfriend! My dogs irritatingly refuse to leave my side and won't go out with anyone but me. It makes sleeping in impossible.

Your turnovers look delicious and I love apple turnovers. I've never even thought of making them, but what a good idea. Thanks, Michelle!

Michelle said...

Paz, glad to know I'm not the only one out there that can't figure those dry-far-too-quickly sheets out!!

Julie, Yea, sometimes I hate to admit it to him, but he is pretty great for doing that. Our dogs (um, er, my puppy anyhow) are SO incredibly annoying in the morning! I hadn't ever thought they were something you could make at home very easily either, but I'm glad to see that they are!!