17.9.07

a long overdue apology...


just where, pray tell, have you been michelle?

i have received numerous, lovely emails and comments asking me if i am still out there, if i am okay, and even a jovial, “what the hell have you been up to?!” (by the way, i both loved and appreciated each of these sentiments – so thank you very much to those of you that care).

i am sorry that i disappeared into thin air, as it pains me to realize that it has been nearly a year – yes, a year! – since my last post in november.
my dear friends and readers (if any of you are still out there), my life of late has been full of so many, many things.

in may, all of the hard work that i have put in over the last 5 years came to an end, when they handed me my degree – a PhD in biology. after nearly six months of day and night researching, reading and writing, i turned in my dissertation, orally defended it, and was released on my own into the “real world” (one word: frightening!)

a week later, i left for six weeks of intense research on a small island off the coast of oahu, hawaii. there, i met many wonderful people from all over the world, including africa, australia, england, new zealand, columbia, brazil and many others, and made some very close friends (although i didn’t get to cook or choose what i was eating for those six weeks, which was almost the worst fate imaginable for someone like myself who loves to cook and eat...especially for someone who prefers to ea
t healthy, unadulterated ingredients.)

three weeks after i returned home to eugene from hawaii, LB (now he really is a Lucky Bastard) and i were married in Bend, Oregon in a large ceremony in front of the 14,000 foot peaks of the Three Sisters mountains and surrounded by our families and our nearest and dearest friends. I'll try to post some pictures soon...

so hopefully you can see that i have been a busy, busy girl and perhaps, just maybe, accept my apologies?

each of these events deserve their own posts, and i’m sure that i will get to them at some point, but today i just wanted to say hello. hello!

as you can see, i’ve made some changes on my site to reflect that i’m looking at the world, and at food, with new eyes and from inside my new life. i’m a married woman now (weird!); i’ve got a new, very nice camera that was a graduation present that takes very, very nice pictures (and that i am still learning to use as you’ll probably see...); and i have a new, part-time job working for a winery during the crush season that i’ll tell you all about as my starting date gets closer and closer. i’m still a scientist, still working in my same lab full-time (mostly writing and doing a few experiments), still ramping up to make the move to hawaii, and still struggling to find balance in all of the things that are always going on and pulling me in a million different directions, including my love of blogging and of all of you.

but i am back. i have a computer at home now so that i can write my posts there (although internet access remains elusive), and a thumbdrive so that i can bring them into work to post them. but best of all, i have a brand-spanking new, shiny 10-piece set of all-clad 18/10 stainless steel cookware to test out as many new recipes as i can find time to try.

so hopefully, we’ll be seeing much more of each other and enjoying many meals together in the future.

13 comments from you:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back! Congrats on your wedding--I live in Bend. :)

Unknown said...

yea!!
What a wonderful catch-up. I think we'll forgive you :D

Ilva said...

All I can say is: About time! Welcome back baby!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again! Sounds like you've had a very full year and congratulations on your PhD and your marriage (and your camera!)!

I'm looking forward to seeing wedding pictures and hearing about your job at the winery when it starts.

Welcome back!

vlb5757 said...

It's about time kid! I am so glad that you are back. Sounds like there will be a lot of new pot clanging in your kitchen. I for one, am looking forward to what ever you cook in the new cookware and the photos with the new camera. Break that baby in!!

Michelle said...

aria, wow! another Oregonite! we love Bend - we're just waiting now for them to open up a University campus so that we can move up there someday!!

celery, aw, thanks!!

ilva, yay - it's good to be back!

julie, thank you dear! it has been a busy year, but i'm glad to be back to things like blogging. it's great to "see" you too!

vickie, me too - i hope there will be lots of clanging pots and bubbling and baking goodies to come!

Karen said...

hi Michelle, it's my first visit to your blog. I linked here from Kuidaore. Just wanted to drop a quick note: Congrats on your wedding!! I found it somewhat coincidental to look into your blog now that you are back into blogging after 1 year's break!

Take care and keep cooking & posting!!!

Best,
Karen

Plume said...

Glad to see that you are fine , I'm looking formward to reading you again.

Michelle said...

hi karen,
well, then it sounds like it was perfect timing! thank you for stopping by! i love jocelyn's blog - and I can't wait to check out yours!

hello again plume! good to see you too! it's getting about that time of year to start thinking of making that fruitcake recipe you so graciously sent me...

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

HooRay on all counts!
Welcome Back!! Married Woman with PhD!! Hoho!

Rachael Narins said...

It sounds as if you have been living life to the fullest. Congrats on your wedding, and PhD! Amazing stuff.

Can't wait to read about your newest adventures!

Rachael

Deetsa said...

Great to see you back sweetheart! Wow, a married woman. I guess you pulled it all off despite your worries.

I guess I better get cracking at polishing up the last of the yearplans so I can get back to posting too. I've been rather absent for a month myself. *SUPER DUPER HUGS*

Michelle said...

Hi Tanna! Thanks for the enthusiasm! It's good to "see" you again and now I'm going to have to go and see what you've been up to!

Hi Rachael! Thank you! I was just browsing your blog on Friday (although I didn't get to comment because I had to leave) and laughing because it sounded like you were talking straight to me about all the goodies in your cupboards (I'm SO guilty of the same afflictions...). Thanks for stopping by!

Nerissa, Hi doll! Hugs right back to you! I've been wondering what you've been up to also and waiting to see if you were going to update...I know school is probably coming up for you too (or already started?) so I'm sure you've been busy too! (Good luck if it hasn't!)