21.1.06

In the Pink...revisited


Those of you that have been reading my site for a while might remember my rather *unusual* entry for an event called "In the Pink" put on by Emily at La Dolce Vita. It was an event to raise awareness about breast cancer, and the stories and people who have or have had it, by making something pink.

Because my first dessert didn't turn out very pink, I took an unusual route and made a pink drink instead: Rhubarb Schnapps. However, the problem with making home-made flavored alcohol, is that it takes a while to mature. And while I have been busy cooking, baking, traveling, and working... in the dark, cool recesses of my lazy susan (Why do they call it that, anyway? Was there really a lazy Susan so unfortunate as to have had a piece of cabinetry named after her and her loafing?), mature it did!

After straining out the now-white rhubarb peices that so gracefully allowed their beautiful red color to turn my bottle of vodka into a striking pink color, and then putting it through some cheesecloth (a bit of sugar sticks around and will forever cloud the bottom of your bottle if you neglect this step), I now have a large bottle of very pink grown-up drink.

I'm imagining pulling this out of the cupboard during a girl's night, and being the hit of the 'party' as we all drink pink girly shots together
. Why, yes, Muffy, I made it myself!

Anyway, it's very tasty. I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to shots - I've had some rough recoveries from nights that I liked the shots a little too much, but this one I can do. It's rather sweet, but not sickeningly so, and perfect for a shot or a sip, as it's lost all of it's harshness over the last several months. It's also a fun gift - I brought some home in a pretty bottle for my mom and sister when I came home for Christmas. Unfortunately, the pictures and the lighting in my kitchen do not do the color any justice, but hopefully you get the idea.

You can check out Emily's round-up, and a lot of other pink desserts here.


10 comments from you:

cookiecrumb said...

That's really beautiful, and you used such a neato bottle.
Too bad all the pink marshmallows are gone!

vlb5757 said...

I think it does it justice, now pour me a big fat PINK drink!

Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

So... what to pair it with?

from the art of baking site:
"Sweet strawberries are often combined with rhubarb to balance its flavor. Apples, figs, pears, and raspberries also complement the flavor of rhubarb.

- Spices such as ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg go well with rhubarb. "

I bet this could make some excellent drinks! (Hmmm fig liquer sounds good too!)

what a fun experiment!

Ilva said...

I didn't know alcohol could be so pretty in pink!

Anonymous said...

I have to try some of this flavouring alchol trick!! perhaps it will be ready for my next birthday ;)

Deetsa said...

wow! My mom is always looking for new ways to use up the bushels of rhubarb her rhubarb produce each year. Maybe this could be one way!

It looks SO pretty. I wonder what it tastes like. Maybe I'll just have to find out when rhubarb matures around here in BC. You know. It really sucks that I don't have any up here. Rhubarb would LOVE this weather/climate.

Anonymous said...

How lovely!

Joycelyn said...

hi michelle, how very original, not to mention totally lovely! i would love a sip of that; my mind races thinking about the possibilities with cocktails

Dawn said...

What a pretty concoction. I'm sure that Muffy will be thrilled! The idea is so creative, and the photo looks good to me. I can imagine a glass rimmed with pink sugar and a cherry floating in it.

Michelle said...

Hi Cookiecrumb! Why, thank you, my dear! I do like the bottle...it reminded me of sort of an elegant, glass form of a flask!

Hi Vickie! Anytime - just head on over to Oregon! I'll even pour you more than one!

Hi Melissa! Aw, shucks, Melissa, thank you! Hugs back to panama!

Hi McAuliflower! Oh, great ideas! I especially think that fresh summer strawberries would be wonderful with it. I'll have to try it once we finish with all this rain (did you see that the sun is going to come out today?? FINALLY!)

Hi Ilva! Alcohol can be lots of pretty colors! I've got a couple more that just finished (quince brandy and elderberry tincture) and I think I'm going to make some Meyer limoncello from your recipe next month after I get paid and can afford more lemons!

Hi Clare! You should! It's really easy and you can make it with almost anything. You're supposed to let it sit anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months (but I did mine for about 3, as I've heard this is when it's the best). When is your birthday??

Hi diningdica! I'm now convinced that making alcohol is a fantastic way to use up all kinds of things! Maybe you could grow some your own? If you need some seeds, let me know - Territorial Seed Company is really close to Eugene, and they're awesome!

Hi Kathy! Thanks!

Hi J! If you think of any cocktail recipes, let me know! I haven't tried any yet, but I'd like to!

Hi Dawn! That sounds like a great idea, and very pretty. I'll have to have Muffy over to impress her and her fancy friends once again!